Gracie W. Michigan

College Tuition

College tuition is a big issue today. It is too high, and financially can really hurt some families. The future president needs to be aware of this issue and hopefully do something about it. College tuition is too high and needs to be reduced.

I want to go to college one day. I’m sure a lot of people do. However, most kids don’t go to college just because they can’t afford it. This is hard to swallow. The thought of kids not getting an opportunity to go to college because it costs too much, and that a family just can’t afford it needs to change. College tuition needs to be reduced, so more kids can get that opportunity. Every kid deserves a chance to further their education.

College tuition is definitely a big issue in the United States today. The average cost of college tuition for the 2015-2016 school year was $32,405 at private colleges, $9,410 for state residents at public colleges, and $23,893 for out-of-state residents going to public colleges, according to the College Board. That is a lot of money to pay just for tuition. After that, students have to buy books and supplies, food, clothes, and dorming. According to Wells Fargo, in total after four years, students spend approximately $52,984, without tuition. All together, that seems like a ridiculous amount of money for college. Many families can’t afford that for one kid, let alone if they have multiple. Those families do have financial aid that can help get the kids through college, but that comes with potential debt and worrying about paying it back.

Financial aid always needs to be payed back. There’s interest rates also attached to that. Interest rates range anywhere from 3%-6%, according to FinanicalAid.edu. Families can easily go into debt from financial aid. It helps to get kids through college, but what about after college? Those loans have to be paid back eventually, and most kids don’t get a good paying job right out of college. Either way, it’s a lot of money. It’s too much for one family to have to worry about.

I know not everyone goes to college, but it’s still important. Kids should not be kept from going to college because they can’t afford it. Everyone should have the opportunity to further their education. Maybe one of those kids is going to change the world, and they don’t even know it yet. Everyone should have an equal opportunity, especially with college. College tuition needs to be reduced. I know this isn’t a major world issue, but this issue does affect a lot of families in the US. I think you should consider doing something about it. I know it’s probably not likely for tuition to be completely free, but at least lower it or get rid of interest rates for financial aid. This would most likely help a lot of people and families. More kids can go to college and get an education. We’ll have more educated and skilled people in the future, which would be very helpful. Please consider this proposal.

Gracie Wall  

Avondale High School

AP Lang

Rick Kreinbring's 2016-17 AP Language and Composition students