Lindsay Michigan

Cut College Costs

This nation is struggling with the cost of education. We need to change this or kids wont go to college and this nation will now evolve and create new opportunities.

We are having a national crisis. The people of the United States are longing for education, but their bank accounts and parents wealth are saying stick to community college or no school at all. Good schools are too expensive to get into in today’s world. And not only careers but jobs are now demanding college degrees. Non-wealthy kids that are craving the education and a good life are not able to go to school. These things need to change so this world can improve drastically. As us teenagers go through high school we are taught that high school is not the end. We still have to go through college. I agree that everybody should go to college and that is why I think we should lower the cost to a very minimal to even no cost.

As I plan on going to college in the year 2018, I am now learning how expensive it can all be. Thankfully, my parents are helping with the expense of college. But not all kids in this country will be able to have that kind of financial support within their family. Especially if there are multiple kids with in the family. According to Cost helper Education, The amount of money that is spend on a full time community college for two semesters varies from $1,000 to $12,000 in state, and $4,000 to $30,000 out of state. An that is just a community college. If you wanted to get into a really good university without having any major scholarships that would be a fortune and you would be in college debt for a very long time. Let’s say I wanted to go to the University of Michigan and I currently live in Idaho. Posted on Tuition Costs for Colleges (tcf.org) it would cost me $59,784 just to attend, and it would cost me $45,410 in tuition and fees. That doesn’t even key in the cost of a dorm every year, school books, or food that I would need. College prices are just outrageous, and it needs to change.

Now let’s talk about the Increase in price, with facts to back it up. Found on NPR.org, Claudio Sanchez states the raw facts about how college expenses are getting way too out of hand. He states “ If you want to get an earful about paying for college, listen to parents from states where tuition and fees have skyrocketed in the last five years. In Arizona, for example, parents have seen a 77 percent increase in costs. In Georgia, it's 75 percent, and in Washington state, 70 percent.” That is just unbelievable. To think that college was there when people in the past didn't even need it to get a good job, and now you need to pay thousands just to get a well paying job to no live on a tight budget.

People in today's world aren't getting wealthier, so why is the cost of education going up? College is now needed more than ever for a comfortable life style. And even then if you do go to college you have the debt of every college student due to the skyrocketing prices of tuition. Families are not able to provide financial support to their kids and that means that they either have to not go to college and struggle, or go to a inexpensive community college and have less of a chance of being hired for a good job. Students need education, and if you don't think high school is enough education, give us college for less.

Lindsay 

Hanover-Horton High School

Creative Writing Class

This is my creative writing class, they have concerns with our county and world today. Agree or Disagree, it is their VOICE to express.