heidi p. Massachusetts

Animal Abuse

Animals are intelligent but can't take care of themselves so we have to help.

Animal abuse is an important issue in U.S. because animals should have rights just like people. I think you should make a harsher punishment for people who break the animal abuse law. Animals are intelligent but can’t protect themselves so we have to help them. According to ACPICA, about 7.6 animals are put into a shelter and 2.7 million animals are euthanized each year.

I think the future president should make harsher punishments for people who break the animal abuse law. If you make the punishment harsher, less and less people will abuse animals. Britain has a long-standing tradition for animal lovers which increases protesters. Animal rights movement began in England. In Britain the Cruelty to Animals Act has been stopping animal abuse since 1876. Also in the U.K. animal testing ended in the 1980s. In two years 350 people were arrested and 21 jailed when they committed animal abuse. According to the article “Stop Huntingdon Cruelty,” one such example was when a “laboratory worker was punching a beagle in it’s face.” The beagle was defenseless to the worker and was innocent. I am using this example because it tells you what's happening in different places but it's all about animal abuse. I believe the future president should make harsher punishments for people who break the law. If you make the punishment harsher less and less people will abuse animals.

On the other hand, some people use fear to “intimidate people into not harming animals.” No matter the reason, violence can be considered terrorism. In the article, “Animal-Rights Movement” by Patricia Netzley some people use fear to get what they want. On the one hand it is good that they are trying to protect animals, but It's not fair to ruin someone's life just because the made a mistake. If someone abuses an animal they should be punished, but forgiven.

Animals should have rights just like people. I think that you should make harsher punishments for people who hurt animals and make it illegal to test on animals. Animals are intelligent but can’t protect them self so we have to help them.

Carmen Pohlman

Glenbrook Middle School

Grade 7 English Language Arts

The seventh grade students have researched, discussed, and thought carefully about a variety of issues that challenge our nation and the next president. Here are their thoughts about what the next president must do to improve our country and all of our lives.