Jade Massachusetts

Discrimination against LGBTQ

The oppression of the LGBTQ society is a growing problem in America

Dear Future President, what are you going to do about the oppression and discrimination of the LGBTQ community? The oppression nowadays is becoming a large problem as more and more people express themselves as LGBTQ. This is unfair and as America grows so should our understanding of other people.

At my school there is a girl one grade above me who is transgender. She started transitioning in fourth grade and even though my school supports the LGBTQ community I know it was a little difficult for her to settle in and feel comfortable with herself. She was the only one in a school of 830 that even showed any signs of being LGBTQ. She told me she was bisexual and I wondered how that impacted her everyday life. People everyday change their appearance to become more comfortable with themselves whether they are making temporary changes like putting on makeup or dyeing their hair, or making permanent changes like getting a tattoo or piercing. Why should changing gender be any different? If that physical change makes you comfortable and happy then that is something you should do.

People of all genders are born equal and should be treated equally. If someone is treating another person like they are something less than them because of something like sexual orientation, then it should be stopped immediately. All people should feel comfortable expressing themselves how they want in a world that will accept them. If someone is nervous or even afraid to be who they are then we aren’t doing enough to support this cause. Judging someone about being LGBTQ is like judging someone for the birthmark they have. It is something you are born with and cannot change, so you might as well accept and embrace it.

According to Jennifer Hassen, author of ‘Homophobic attacks in the U.K. have risen 147% since Brexit, report says’, attacks on people of the LGBTQ community have gone up significantly even though there have been acts of pride and celebration. When the Orlando nightclub massacre happened, there were hundreds of people in London not only mourning the deaths but for showing support for all of the LGBTQ community. According to a survey done by Gallop, ⅘ of people who are LGBTQ have experienced hate crime. Secondly, from Fox News on Jan 20, 2016 an interview between Ric Grenell and Brian Kilmeade shows Ric explaining that after the Orlando shooting, people of the LGBTQ community, especially women, have been arming themselves and making sure that they can fight back if they are attacked. At any club, or place there is a chance that there could be another shooting, so people are preparing for any situation. You should not be afraid of getting attacked while going about your everyday life or having a good time at a club, just because you are expressing yourself.

To help end the discrimination of the LGBTQ community, we should raise awareness and make it noticed that they should feel safe expressing themselves. Do not use lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer in terms with a negative connotation. This just promotes the inequality. Also, ask teachers if they would post stickers and signs promoting LGBTQ safe environments so people feel like they are in safe place where they can talk about anything. The simplest thing you can do is be open and alert for anyone seeking guidance or comfort.

Jade

Homophobic Attacks in UK have Risen 147% since Brexit, report says

Gun sales on the rise among LGBT community after attack

Baker ELA

Blue

Letters to the Next President