Emily V. California

Ocean Pollution

Marine animals in the U.S and all over the world are suffering and dying because of ocean pollution.

Welcome to your new position as president of the U.S. During your presidential term, there will be a lot of problems you will face.Ocean pollution is one of them.Marine animals in the U.S and all over the world are suffering and dying because of that.

Some of the causes of ocean pollution are oil, garbage,and sewage.According to Conserve Energy Future,"Oil is the fastest source of deterioration to the ocean, being far more harmful than trash and waste. However, only a small percentage of oil (around 12%) dumped in the ocean comes as a result of actual oil spills." Although a small percent of it is dumped into the ocean, it is dangerous for marine life.

Another cause of ocean pollution is garbage. On a regular basis, thousands of tons of garbage and other waste is dumped on the ocean. From all the garbage plastic is very dangerous. In the ocean, some marine animals might mistake it for food and consume it. Also, there is plastic debris which could absorb toxic chemicals,meaning it could poison anything that consumes it. According to Conserve Energy Future, plastic pollution is one of the most serious threats to the ocean.

Finally, the last form of ocean pollution I will discuss is sewage. Sewage may contain oils, greases, runoff from streets, and heavy metals. With all of that and other bacteria, bathers and marine animals may be at a high risk of getting disease because of the water. According to Marine BIo, The most toxic waste material dumped into the ocean includes dredged material, industrial waste, sewage sludge, and radioactive waste. Dredging contributes about 80% of all waste dumped into the ocean, adding up to several million tons of material dumped each year.

In conclusion, ocean pollution is a very serious problem in the U.S. There are some ways to help put a stop to ocean pollution, like cleaning up the beach, or using less plastic products. As the future president of the U.S, you should make ocean pollution a high priority while in office before it's too late.

Emily V. 

Lakeview MIddle School

Woods Period 1

This is Ms. Woods's first period class.