Ivan R. Texas

Racism

Help us find a way to end it.

Racism has been a problem for thousands of years, and it still is, but we as a society often try to dismiss the issue because "segregation barriers have been broken" or "black people have already been granted their rights".

However, racism has not been demolished, it is only being portrayed in different ways. One of the most current ways involves our very own police officers misusing their gun privilege, and shooting the innocent lives of our African American citizens. According to Washington Post, "African Americans...account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S population...black Americans are 2.5 times likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers". One can argue that the police are just doing their "job" and that those victims were somehow guilty, but the victims literally range from many ages including children and the elderly who are incapable of committing any crime large enough to result in their fate. A lot of the situations also provide evidence that the victims were unarmed, such as the death of Michael Brown.

There has been many protests, but the only thing America is comprehending from the protests are that black Americans are violent. We need some with the influence and power, someone like you, to help find an efficient system or procedure to ensure that the death rates of black Americans decrease rather than increase. We need you to ensure us that police officers understand restrictions, and do not take advantage of their privileges. After all, how can America remain strong when our own citizens fear what we call our "protection"?

Galena Park High School

English II

English II students write about their concerns for the upcoming election.