Nicholas T. California

Dear Future President

This is a letter about college tuition and the problems of the cost to go to college for families.

I am almost going to college.  My sister, who is in her 3rd year of college, is struggling to pay for her tuition.  My parents are also struggling to pay off my sister's tuition.  Although there is financial aid, financial aid can only help to a certain extent.  Since I am going off to college in a couple months, depending on which college I go to, I believe that any of my choices will be expensive.  That includes food, dorms, and books.  Yeah sure, people can say "go to community college" or "stay home", but I want to fully live the college experience.  I don't think I can do that if college tuition and all the other factors are thousands of dollars.  This doesn't apply to just my family too.  This applies to all those other families who struggle with low-income jobs.  There are many bright students in America who have the chance to live the college experience and figure out their personalities through school but they can't afford it.  Talent and intellectual minds are wasted because of factors like money.

Overall, I would like to stress the idea of college tuition being free or at least lowered greatly.  America is also the richest country in the world.  If we have all that money, why can't the government make the cost to go to college free?  This way, students who shine in school who are poor, can go to the college that they dream of.  Community college is a great way to save money as well but I'm talking about the students who want to live in a more college environment.  Giving students the opportunity to go to college for free, allows them to study freely, leaving families with no concern for spending years just paying off college tuition.  I want this to happen and I believe that this can happen.

Thank you,

Nicholas Tran