Andrew B. Indiana

whats wrong with our educational system?

What's Wrong with our educational system?

Andrew Brown

Mr. Smith

English 11, period 2

3 November 2016

Even though graduation rate is going up, There is always room for improvement. Even if there is a school with a ninety nine percent graduation rate, they still have room for improvement. Every school that has below one hundred percent graduation rate should be striving for that one hundred percent. Even a school with a sixty seven percent graduation rate should set their goal to be one hundred percent. It may take a lot of dedication and hard work, but it will be well worth it for the future of our society. So the question is why is it so low? And how do we get everyone's Graduation rate to one hundred percent?

It's not all of the schools and school districts that are having problems with their graduation rate. Studies done by the associated press says“leading the way was Iowa, with a graduation rate of nearly 91 percent. The District of Columbia had the lowest rate: 61 percent.” We need to work on getting schools like in the district of Columbia to reach the same graduation rate as schools like in Iowa. Once we get all the schools to have the great graduation rate like in Iowa, we should not stop there. We should then proceed and try to improve on every school's graduation rate. If we work hard, one day maybe every school can have a graduation rate of 100%.

It is obvious to many people that many people want and need our graduation rate to be one hundred percent. Everyone needs to be graduating, because in today's society it will be extremely hard for them to survive, if the can. Everyone is realizing this, that's why many people are campaigning for this. According to Associated Press, adapted by Newsela staff “the latest figures drew concern from groups campaigning for a 90 percent graduation rate by 2020. To reach that goal, the rate will need to increase each year by at least 1.3 percent.” If they can reach this goal they may be able to continue and reach one hundred percent.

Why are students leaving? The associated press says “nearly 1 in 5 students are leaving high school without a diploma.” This is a problem for both our future and our present. Many students believe that they don’t need to graduate for their future. Or they know they need too and just don’t care. Some of the problem is in our society, our society has built such a source of entitlement in our youth. With so many children receiving all these big expensive gifts with no work. Once we get students to realize they need to work as hard as possible for what they want and need, maybe then they will be determined to graduate.

So all of this can help graduation rate go up, As I mentioned before, even if there is a school with a ninety nine percent graduation rate, they still have room for improvement. Every school should be striving for that one hundred percent.. It will take hard work, but it will help turn our nation into a even better and smarter one. So the question is why are we waiting? We need to start now to improve for everyone's sake.