Sophie Z. Ohio

Violence is The Problem, Not The Solution

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable," - John F. Kennedy. What can you do to help prevent violence in the U.S.? Many people look outside into the world and wonder what it will be like without violence. I believe violence can be stopped, and I hope you do too.

Dear Next President:

Many people look outside at the world and wonder, “what would it be like without any violence?” There are many issues happening in the U.S. currently and I feel there are three main things that cover the whole topic about violence: Crime, Misuse of Guns/Gun Crime, and Terrorism. I hope you consider my thoughts on this topic, because I feel they should be taken seriously and they also should be your top priority once you become president.

First, I would like to discuss the topic of crime, which is a very serious topic. Many crimes in the U.S. happen every single day, and I know crime will never completely disappear, but it should at least be tried to be prevented. For instance the murder rate in Chicago has risen by 72% and has probably gone up since the last recordings. That is just ridiculous and it needs to be taken care of at once. Chicago isn’t the only city that has high crime rates, the states Alaska, Tennessee and Nevada all have high crime rates as well. Every citizen wants to feel safe in their city/state. They don’t want to wake up to a house that is empty because some criminal stole all their belongings.

The next topic I would like to talk about is Gun violence which is happening all over the world, and not just the U.S.. Now, I know a handful of people that carry a gun around legally because they have a registered license, and they keep a gun around for their personal protection. There are also many people in the world that carry a gun around illegally and don’t necessarily use it for their personal protection… Many times people with illegal guns cause violence and sometimes get away with it, this needs to be stopped instantly. The next president needs to have stronger protection and more rules and regulations about carrying around a gun.

The terminal topic I would like to talk about today is terrorism, which I feel is the biggest issue in the U.S. currently. Many citizens in the U.S. have died because of this terrible issue. For me, I am worried to go out in public because I am afraid someone will attack me. I hear stories way too much on the news about terrorists attacking different places and it needs to be stopped. I am also worried about my family members going out in public as well, and I feel I should not be. I feel the next president needs to be more strict about who comes in and out of the U.S.

I hope you take my thoughts and research into consideration because these are big issues happening in the United States. I bet many other people in the United States would be compelled to share this information as well with the next president.

Sophie 

Hudson Middle School

HMS 8 Respect

The gathering place of fine young minds in Hudson Middle School!