Alyson B. North Dakota

Shootings are a Major Issue in the U.S.

We need to stop shootings for good, and help innocent people who are victims of this problem.

Dear Mr. President,

In case you didn’t know, between January 2009 and July 2015 there were at least 133 mass shootings in America. The number of shootings in America are only increasing and they will continue to increase if the government doesn’t do more to prevent the situation and help the innocent. 1 in 3 victims of these mass shootings are children, and 50% of mass shooting victims are women.

To stop this violence the government can add more protection around the borders, and they can add more police around towns, cities, and schools where shootings are more common. Also if more states required background checks for all gun sales, and kept dangerous people from purchasing guns, that would also help prevent shootings from occurring.

Another effect of shootings, besides the fact that people are dying, are grieving families who have lost loved ones due to shootings. It is most definitely not fair that these innocent families end up grieving because they lost a loved one due to a fixable problem.

Of the 11 deadliest shootings in the U.S. five have happened from 2007 onward, with the Orlando attack being the deadliest by far in U.S. history. This means that the deadliness of shootings is increasing because of more powerful technology in weapons. Now that weapons are more powerful and dangerous, we need to start being cautious about who is getting a hold of these weapons. After all, perpetrators of mass shootings who try to purchase guns may not always be the people that we would expect.

Mr. President, are you really going to sit back and watch innocent people suffer and die? Are you really willing to let the families of these people grieve over the loss of loved ones? These people need you and I hope that you will work even harder to end mass shootings.

Alyson