Jessie C. Michigan

Homeless Veterans: Help Them

This letter is about helping Homeless Veterans, why we should help them, and how we can help them.

I am writing to entice you to understand that we need to house our homeless veterans and give them better health care. “The VA [Veterans Administration] estimates that approximately 250,000 veterans are homeless on any given night; more than 500,000 experience homelessness over the course of a year. Conservatively, one of every three homeless adult males sleeping in a doorway, alley, box, car, barn or other location not fit for human habitation in our urban, suburban, and rural communities has served our nation in the Armed Forces.” (Veterans Administration, National Coalition for Homeless Veterans). This evidence shows that there are many homeless veterans.  These veterans served our country and protected our rights. That is why we stand for the flag and do the pledge of allegiance. 

Here is one person named Vanessa Turner who was an Army Vet. She got hurt, so she was discharged to go home. She had no healthcare or a place to live, so she and her daughter bounced from place to place (National Coalition for Homeless Veterans). That is only one of the many people who didn’t have a place to go. There are many more people out there, more veterans, that need help. I am hoping you could help house homeless Vets and also try to get them great health care.

Jessie C.