Nate W. Texas

Black Lives Matter

Police brutality is increasing day by day and we need to take action.

Dear Mr/Madam President,

The Black Lives Matter movement all started because of trial of George Zimmerman for murdering Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman Confronted and profiled Martin and shot him while he was not committing any crimes, Zimmerman then stated that he shot Martin in self defense. In the end he was not rendered guilty on all accounts. This has created a firestorm on the internet and has caused many people to support this protest. You can help the problem by ensuring/gaining more respect for African Americans, and ensure their safety, and have better training and protocol.

This past year African Americans have become very ¨scared¨ because of the recent shootings of African Americans. Mr/Madam President you can fix this by ensuring the safety of African Americans. This includes building better relationships with African Americans you can do that by creating opportunities to interact with African American families like the Bigs in Blue Program. If you create more programs like that it might gain the trust back from African Americans.

Some people think that black people's lives don't matter but I strongly disagree with that statement. I like the saying Don't judge a book by it's cover because it really describes the problem. You can't think that something is bad because of the color or cover, and we shouldn't rely on the past to determine the present. African Americans make up around 12 percent of the US, so the people who think that Black lives don't matter are basically saying that we only need 88% of the United States.

Many unarmed African Americans have been killed in the past few years. In 2015 102 unarmed African Americans were killed, nearly twice a week. You can fix this by having better training and protocol while dealing with Traffic stops. Police officers can change the way they approach someone and not go directly to their gun, and to rather use a taser when they feel threatened.

Congratulations on being elected the next President of the United States. The Black Lives Matter movement is one of the most important problems in the United States. African Americans have gotten very scared from the past few years, and you Mr/Madam president can solve this by having better training and protocol. You can also create programs like the Bigs in Blue which helps builds relationships between African Americans and police officers.

By the Time They Turned Him Back Over, He Was Gone,. "Police Killed More than 100 Unarmed Black People in 2015." Mapping Police Violence. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Horowitz, Juliana Menasce, and Gretchen Livingston. "How Americans View the Black Lives Matter Movement." Pew Research Center RSS. 08 July 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Swaine, Jon, Oliver Laughland, Jamiles Lartey, and Ciara McCarthy. "Young Black Men Killed by US Police at Highest Rate in Year of 1,134 Deaths." The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, 31 Dec. 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Trial of George Zimmerman." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Press, Errin Haines Whack Associated. "'Bigs in Blue' Will Try to Bridge Gap by Pairing Cops, Youth." ABC News. ABC News Network. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.