Abby, P.3 Arizona

Close the Wage Gap

Close the wage gap for the sake of this country's future.

To start, congratulations on your newly won presidency! You worked so hard to get to this moment, and now it is your time to make a positive and beneficial difference in this country. Being a high schooler, I am constantly worried about my future and working as hard as I can to go to college, to get a job, to start a family, to be financially stable, to essentially have choices. Let’s say I get an amazing job. I love the people, the environment, and the boss. After working there for some time I find out that I am earning 79 cents for every dollar that my male counterpart is making. Now the question is, why am I working just as hard, and possibly even harder, than my male counterpart only to make less than 80% of what he makes?

According to whitehouse.gov, “In 2014, the typical woman working full-time all year in the United States earned only 79 percent of what the typical man earned working full-time all year.” Is this the message that you want to send to the girls and women of America? That they will always be inferior to men no matter what they do? I dearly hope that this is not what you want. I hope that, as our President, you will close this wage gap and give the women of America the same chances, and choices, as the men in this country.

A perfect way to address and shine a light on this issue is to you use your power for good. Make speeches, start organizations, pass a bill! Do what you can, because all women deserve it. As a hard-working, smart, ambitious student, I deserve it. This change is extremely important to me, as it affects the future I will work so hard for.

So, congratulations Next President! Everyone is looking at you to make decisions to allow us to have the choices we deserve. Please close the wage gap, for the future of America.

Abby