Abigail R. Texas

Concealed Handgun Law

Concealed handgun law is important by giving citizens protection.

Dear Future President of the United States,

Picture a world with limited violence and their was rarely ever any murders or crimes. Think of a place where you aren't scared to lose your loved ones early. Now picture a world where you aren't afraid to have your personal property stolen. The second amendment in the Constitution states that you have the right to keep and bear arms. There are important reasons to keep the Concealed Handgun Law. Some important reasons are protection, many states can already have a gun, and crime rates have gone down since the law.

Without guns, we would be in lots of trouble. Guns keep us from getting robbed, murdered, and assaulted. Yes, guns are basically a synonym for violence but they are mostly used for protection. Statistics show that “Murder and crime rates have lowered 25% since more adults have been permitted with concealed handguns.” (crime research) Which shows that more people w m ere able to protect themselves in scary situations. With guns, citizens are able to prevent crimes from happening and that is why it is very important to keep the Concealed Handgun Law. If it was to be taken away, nobody would be able to protect themselves.

Many states already have this law, but not all. If all states had this law, crime rate would drop even more. “Murder rate was 33% lower in states that could have a gun without a permit.” (crime research) This means that the states without the law are significantly lower than states with the law. So, states should take possession of this law. “Forty-two states generally require a state-issued permit in order to carry concealed weapons in public.” (concealed weapons permitting) This means that 84% of states already have this law!

Lastly but most importantly, crime rates have gone down! Taking away the law would just make crime rates spike up again! “Murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop.” (howell)This means that the law has helped so much with protecting people. It would be so horrific to have the crime rates go back up 25%! It would be against the constitution to take away this law. “The 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1791, refers to the National Guard, which was created by an act of Congress in 1903.” (williamson)

The Concealed Handgun Law has helped and even saved many lives. This law is so vital to keep. Without this law no one would have protection, all the states wouldn't have the law anymore, and crime rates would spike back up.

Works Cited:

Http://crimeresearch.org/author/johnrlott/. "MYTH: FIREARMS RESEARCH FELL AFTER THE NRA RESTRICTIONS ON FEDERAL FUNDING - Crime Prevention Research Center." Crime Prevention Research Center. N.p., 10 Mar. 2014. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Concealed Weapons Permitting." Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. N.p., May-June 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Howell, Kellan. "Murder Rates Drop as Concealed Carry Permits Soar: Report." Washington Times. The Washington Times, May 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Williamson, Michael Z. "40 Reasons to Support Gun Control." 40 Reasons to Support Gun Control. N.p., July 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.