Larenzo Washington

Black Lives Matter

This movement is to strive away from this Black White society where Whites or the racist government control the people.

Dear future Mr./Mrs. President,

“Of the 990 people who were killed by police officers in 2015, The Washington Post reported 258 of them were black. So far in 2016, there have been 708 documented deaths in police shootings, 173 of which have resulted the deaths of African-Americans In many cases of police brutality and racial profiling many cases are involved with the black community.” This is taken from the international business times on the statistics on black police shootings in America. In 2012 the #BlackLivesMatter movement was born after Trayvon Martin’s murderer, George Zimmerman, was acquitted of his crime, and dead 17-year old Trayvon was posthumously placed on trial for his own murder. The main purpose of this movement is to strive away from this Black White society where Whites or the racist government control the people. The movement was formed after the people have gotten fed up with hearing about the next new black shooting in the streets, these shootings typically happen to the defenseless and to a minority.

The importance is this issue is that as a mixed black male I must face the horrible truth that I will never be treated equally compared to my white counterpart. I face this a lot at work and with friends around instead of a hello, I get a “What's Up” or “Sup Homie” though it may not seem like a big deal I see it as some sort of issue, not even my friends of the same race try to act different for me because my skin tone.I feel connected to this issue because be racially profiled and severely beaten by the police can happen to anyone, but as a black minority i'm more subjected to it than others.For whomever the next president is I urge that person passes or find a way to fix this black and white country and change it back to a more accepting and engaging country. These microaggressions are what lead to racial profiling and that eventually what leads to police brutality or police shootings.The #BlackLivesMatter movement is fighting to fix these issues in our communities but as the new president it's your job to help this group out and fight against the injustice.

After all of the police shootings and police brutality cases that have happened in this country the political leaders have done little to nothing about it, with you as the new president you can now have the chance to make a change. From the website of the Black Lives Matter movement they state ,“#BlackLivesMatter is working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. We affirm our contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.” From reading this from their website you can now learn the importance of the issue, and how the movement is trying to change the country.In conclusion i think that for you as the new president should consider a person's view on the issue and help us to end it. As America has evolved through the years people have evolved with it, for you as the new president you now have the power and authority to make this wrong right.Through fixing this issue you can fix this country and make it have even more equal opportunities than before. In order to help communities and the black lives matter movement you should

Larenzo F.

Foster High School, Tukwila, Washington

Foster High School

Gamboa 4th Period Civics

4th period Civics and Current Events taught by Ms. Gamboa.