Joshua L. California

The Effects of Global Warming

Global Warming is a serious and growing problem in the United States.

Hello Future President,

Today I will be writing about the issue of global warming. Global Warming is drastically hurting the environment because it is hurting animal ecosystems and melting the ice caps.

Global Warming is hurting animal ecosystems because some plants and animals need a very specific climate for them to survive and flourish. Some examples of animals that need very specific climates to survive are the Pika and the moose. The Pika is a small mammal that is a cousin to the rabbit family. The Pika lives in the alpine zone, which is snowy, barren, and cold. These creatures can die in temperatures as little as 78℉, so the cold is crucial for their survival. Global warming indirectly impacts Pika’s because the warmer temperatures make it so that the Pika’s have less places to go. Another species threatened by global warming is the moose. The moose is on of the most iconic animals in history, yet it is in danger because of global warming. Overheating is a problem of moose as are disease and ticks. Ticks are running rampant due to warmer winters leading to less of them dying. The ticks weaken the moose to the point where it dies of anemia, or lack of blood.

Another harmful effect of global warming is melting the ice caps because it removes land for polar bears and other animals that live in the arctic and it changes the water level. Polar bears are being impacted from global warming because their population size is decreasing, Sea ice platforms are moving farther apart and their swimming conditions are becoming more dangerous. To top it all off, they have fewer hunting opportunities and food is becoming more scarce. Rising sea level is another problem with the melting ice. Changes in salinity due to the rising water could decimate mangrove forests, leaving many fish, shellfish, and other wildlife without a place to breed, feed and/or raise offspring. The water will also start to rise and start to cover beaches and marshes and cause erosion, destroying habitat for birds, fish, and other coastal wildlife.

You may think that global warming won't change human's lifestyles, however, scientists have predicted that the water level will rise because of melting ice caps. The melting ice caps will raise water levels, creating less land. Also, the water will get warmer, causing more fish to die off. Another thing that will change is precipitation patterns, resulting in more droughts and heat waves. All in all, global warming will eventually change the planet and the lifestyles of people.

In conclusion, global warming is negatively affecting the environment because it is hurting animal ecosystems and melting the ice caps. Future president, please put some thought towards this growing problem.

@nwf. "Effects on Wildlife and Habitat - National Wildlife Federation." Effects on Wildlife and Habitat - National Wildlife Federation. NWF, n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

@nwf. "Global Warming and Moose - National Wildlife Federation." Global Warming and Moose - National Wildlife Federation. NWF, n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

@nwf. "Global Warming and Polar Bears - National Wildlife Federation." Global Warming and Polar Bears - National Wildlife Federation. NWF, n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

@nwf. "Global Warming and the American Pika - National Wildlife Federation." Global Warming and the American Pika - National Wildlife Federation. NWF, n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

@nwf. "Global Warming - National Wildlife Federation." Global Warming - National Wildlife Federation. NWF, n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

"Plants, Animals, and Ecosystems." EPA. Environmental Protection Agency, n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

The Earth Science Communications Team. "The Consequences of Climate Change." NASA. NASA, n.d. Web. 06 Nov.2016.

Diablo Vista Middle School

Zhebel - English 8

Zhebel - English 8