Ashley A.

College Tuition

College tuition prices are getting to be out of hand and unaffordable.

Cost. Tuition. Loans. Financial. All of these words have one thing in common: college. For so many years, college tuition has been getting higher and higher. Everyone is focused on the costs and the financial averages, but it seems like no one is concerned about the education and accomplishments of the students themselves. College tuition prices should be reducing instead of increasing.

There are millions of people in the world who can’t afford college. Millions of prodigies and potential legends that were shut down, simply just because they didn’t have enough money. Everyone deserves a chance to make a career out of their lives. Sadly, this is not the case, and as college tuition continues to rise, the need for education decreases and the demand for money gets stronger and stronger. The cost of college tuition keeps rising more and more. If it keeps rising this vigorously, it’s only a matter of time until no one attends college at all. For example, in 1971, the University of California, Los Angeles’ (UCLA) tuition increased from $2,400 to $2,600. It may not seem like much, but over time, the tuition value has aggressively expanded to 45,278. This is more than 17 times as much as the 1971-1972 cost. “ If you look at the long-term trend, college tuition has been rising almost six percent above the rate of inflation,” says Ray Frank, a professor at the University of Massachusetts, Boston. 

With this said, some colleges cost way more than others, even when they have the same level of education. At Alcorn State University, the college tuition costs $6,552. Meanwhile, in New York, Sarah St. Lawrence’s college tuition has the price of $65,480. Both of these colleges give out the same types of degrees, have the same level of education, but have a dramatic difference in cost. The college tuition cost of Sarah St. Lawrence school in New York costs about ten times more as the Alcorn State University college tuition. This shows that there are so many colleges that deserve to have a lower price than they currently do.

Like I said, college tuition is getting out of hand. The impulsive interest for money is overshadowing so many students and their educations. We need to eliminate the words like fees, loans, and cost. We all need to focus on the real words that matter, like education, classes, and degrees. This needs to change soon. So it’s up to you, the President of the United States, to make this change happen.

Ashley A.