Pierce Colorado

Homelessness In The United States

Homelessness is a huge problem and we can stop it...

Dear Mr. President,

Homelessness is a huge problem in the United States. Just last year there were 600,000 people living outside or in a homeless shelter in 2015. 200,000 of those were families, with children. 57,000 or more are veterans. This is a huge problem and we need to fix it. One quarter of homeless people in America is children under 18. Why are the nation’s children sleeping on the streets? Our citizens deserve to have nice living conditions, especially the veterans, women, and children.

There are many factors that contribute to homelessness including poverty, lack of affordable housing, job loss, lack of health care, mental illness, substance abuse, and domestic violence. About half of women and children on the streets are fleeing from domestic abuse. Surprisingly, one quarter of homeless people have jobs but they don’t pay well enough to buy a house.

Everyone deserves a home in America. At the end of the day, this is the Land of Opportunity! We can help homelessness in many ways, including raising minimum wage, more homeless shelters, and more jobs. This nation is a very powerful nation but we could do better if everyone had a house and a job.

Pierce