Riley K. Oregon

Deforestation

The affects of deforestation are horrifying and destructful and I want to know what the President is going to do about it.

According to World Wildlife Foundation, forests cover 31% of the Earth’s land. Deforestation is one of the most damaging acts against the world that we can possibly accomplish. According to Rainforest Action Network, the U.S. “has less than 5% of the world’s population yet consumes over 30% of the world’s paper”. We are destroying our only source of oxygen at an alarming rate of 1.5 acres every second. Soil erosion, floods, wildlife extinction, increase in global warming, and climate imbalance are few of the effects of deforestation. Is deforestation really worth losing 31% of our Earth’s covering and our only reliable source of oxygen? As President you are not only one of the biggest representatives of our country but having control of a world powerhouse you are also a representative for the human race. So I ask you to represent our nation in the best way possible and save our world.

I do understand the benefits of deforestation, such as the new findings of cures and medicines. However if we are destroying forests for our own good, does that imply that we are declaring our health of more importance than the health of our own Earth? Since the mid-20th century, deforestation has been occurring frequently and some of the effects are present today. Since we are destroying plants that take carbon out of the air, there is more and more carbon in the atmosphere which causes the greenhouse effect that is Global Warming, causing the temperature of the Earth to rise and ice caps to melt which leads to the rising of water levels and the extinction of polar animals such as polar bears. The effects of deforestation directly impacts global warming and natural disasters, which alters our way of living. By reducing deforestation it also reduces the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere leading to a healthier lives for not only all living things and future generations but the earth as well.

Thank you, Sincerely,

Riley Ker