Jack H Oregon

Gun control.

Guns for the public should be limited.

Dear future President:

I am a student at West Albany High School and gun control needs to happen right now. With fewer guns available to the public fewer people will die. There is no gun regulation in the United States. This is a problem because people own too many guns, and it's also dangerous to others when gun owners’ don’t know how to use them properly.

An increased amount of guns means an increased amount of gun related death. “Countries with restrictive gun control laws have lower gun homicide and suicide rates than the United States” (gun-control.procon.org/). Restricting guns will help improve our country and decrease the amount of death that guns provide. Gun control will prevent unwanted death.

Guns for the public should be limited.  Some have taken the right to bear arms to the extreme. For example, my uncle has over 75 guns that he hardly ever uses but still collects in case the laws are changed. "We have the epidemic of gun violence which is stalking our country from small towns to large cities. No place is immune. And when, on average, 90 people a day are killed by guns, which adds up to 33,000 people a year, we have to be absolutely disciplined in not becoming insensitive and indifferent to those losses." (Hillary:'Too Many Guns' in America).

Having guns in a home environment can increase the chance of children being injured or killed. “Federal data from the Centers for Disease Control indicate that between 2007 and 2011, an average of 62 children age 14 and under were accidentally shot and killed each year...American children are sixteen times more likely to be killed in unintentional shootings than their peers in other high-income countries” (everytownresearch.org). Even though children are injured and killed by guns often, parents make no visible effort to prevent these incidents.

The amount of guns the average civilian can own needs to be limited. This will help prevent mass shootings, suicides, and child injuries. People looking to buy guns should also be required to take a gun safety class before purchasing a gun. Using these new requirements could help our society become safer. Please consider my points of view.

Sincerely, Jack H.