daniel l. Oregon

Why immigrants should receive citizenship.

In this letter you will read about immigrants like me who should receive citizenship and why we deserve it.

I came to the United States of America at the age of 1, not able to remember my family from my mom’s side or my dad side. It has impacted my life so much by seeing both of my parents not able to see their families in person. Skype is the only way for us to see them. Now, my purpose in writing this letter is to say that we deserve a way to become citizens, especially for those who have a clean background and have been living in the United States for more than 10 years. We are acceptable to be U.S citizens. Now, this issue doesn’t only affect my family, but it also affects those who have similar stories as me and deserve that same thing. I’ll be explaining how the benefits of immigrants with a clean background receiving citizenship can make America look better as a nation.

There are 11.7 million undocumented immigrants who live in the U.S. That’s a lot of people we’re talking about who can make a huge difference to the nation. For example, the growth of the economy will increase rapidly by giving citizenship to all immigrants who now work in the shadows. Millions of people will now be able to come out of the shadows and feel safer to work. Secondly, the rate of deportation will decrease by getting rid of the criminals and keeping the good ones who call the U.S their home, like my parents and others. Thirdly, another important point is education. This is important because kids who are born in the United States that have undocumented parents can interrupt their education when they feel scared of getting caught and getting separated from their children. According to the Pew Research Center, 76% agree that all immigrants who are undocumented should be eligible for citizenship, and I totally agree with that.

These are all my reasons why all immigrants should be eligible to receive citizenship for living more than 10 years in the U.S. Trust me, doing all this will make everything look better for us and for this amazing country. It will change our lives and others when we receive our citizenship and hopefully it can happen soon.

Sincerely, Juan