Olivia Ohio

LGBT+ Rights

The amount of hate in our country is becoming a problem, and we need to do something about it.

There are many problems in the United States at the moment, but the most pressing matter is the increase of LGBT hate. Even though same-sex marriage is now legal in all 50 states, it is still frowned upon by many people who believe that it is not natural. They are correct in the fact that same-sex marriage is not traditional in the United States. However, it is not their responsibility to tell others who they are and are not allowed to be. Being anything other than straight has been viewed as wrong and disgusting for so long, which is why in order for people of the LGBT community to find acceptance, we need to stop the hate being generated in our country. More rights should be given to the LGBT community in order to help lessen the amount of violent acts towards them in the future, but until that happens, the least we can do is to show kindness and respect towards one another. If we can’t even do that, what kind of country have we become?

There have been many times that people of the LGBT community were either publicly assaulted or denounced in some way. The event in particular that no one will ever forget is the shooting at the gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida. 49 were killed, and 53 others were injured, all because of the resentment we harbor against the LGBT community. It is unnecessary, really, to fight so ruthlessly with one another over what little differences we have. We should instead come together as one nation, each of us accepting one another. This is my dream and many others’ dream as well, and in order for it to come true, we need your help to change people’s perspectives on the LGBT community. What is a county with a President who won’t help?

You may be thinking that I have no idea what I’m talking about, or that I don’t understand because I am still too young, but I have my reasons for arguing. I am a part of the LGBT community as well, and I know that I speak not just for me when I say this, but for many others as well. As the future President, you hold the key to what happens to this country, and I have great hope that you will make a positive change in the issues concerning the LGBT community. The percentage of adults who oppose same-sex marriage has decreased considerably since 2008, when Obama was elected, but there is still much more that needs to be done.

No matter what we do, we will not be able to stop the violent acts towards the LGBT community without your help. If you merely cast this issue aside, then these problems will only grow worse and spiral out of hand, until our entire nation has crumbled, and I’m sure that maybe then you would be more willing to help. Without you, we won’t be able to solve anything, and we might never see the day where we achieve equality. Even if we can never truly vanquish it, we can at least try our best to lessen the amount of hate in our country. We will never know what happens in the future, but I do know that it is up to you. As the future President, you alone play the biggest role in deciding our fate.

Sincerely, Olivia.

Brookville Schools

Brookville 8th Grade Students

8th grade students at Brookville Intermediate School have been studying issues that are important to them. They are posting their letters to the next president in order to have a voice in the upcoming election.