Jack V. Illinois

Racism

My paper was on how racism is affecting Americans and way we think about other races and causing us to think about races out of the country and how if we fixed it we would have a new America and new people.

Donald Trump

Dear Trump,

Believe it or not, I go to highschool at Metea Valley and I guess people can say that we're a little segregated which could lead to conflicts and towards each other such as rude comments. The day you got elected I heard white people yelling at hispanics saying build the wall and it got me really mad although they said it a couple times they stop and walked over. They were being really racist and I know that’s what you’re not about so I was wondering your opinion on racism.

I believe that a lot the people in America are racist, prejudice, and show discrimination and I think if we reduce the prejudice and discrimination we can in fact reduce racism. Although we can’t stop it we can try and protect the future of America and show them right from wrong.

Did you know Mr. Trump that according to the federal Bureau of investigation, 47% of hate crimes are racially motivated. I do think that you can make a difference in America and make the people think twice about saying something that’s bad or racist to someone.

Adding on I to my point that there are active hate groups in every state of America. These hate groups could have an influence on kids and how think about other races therefore we need to stop active hate groups and the expansion of racist people before it gets any harder to eliminate.

If you agree to help reduce racism it would have a huge impact on not only the American people, but the way Americans think of other people out of the country. More people are becoming anti black by the year. In 2012, 15% of Americans expressed anti-black sentiments in recent years that number has increased up by 3% from 2008.

In conclusion I believe racism has and is now causing a huge impact on society and in fact causing more conflict between different people. We need to stop racism because our kids will pick up on it and it will grow. I do believe you have the power to change and act on racism because you are the president of the united states and that you can make a difference in America and what the people think. 

From,  Jack Veitch 

Metea Valley High School

Metea Valley Sophomore English

All sophomore students at Metea Valley High School wrote letters to President-Elect Trump, voicing their issues on ideas that are important to them. These letters were part of a three-week project, where we learned about rhetorical situation; types of claims; types of evidence; and embedding quotes.