Erick New York

Future President: Protect our Country.

A letter to our future president on what he/she should do to better our nation, improve our security, and how people feel around they're own neighborhood and schools.

As a high school student that lives in New York, has many diverse friends, and is on social media a a good amount of the time, I believe that a problem our nation is currently having is violence caused by ineffective gun control laws or guns not being enforced as properly as they should.

In the 4 years you will be president, I hope that will take action to do something about this. According to an article of reflecting on former President Obama's speech about the Sandy Hook shooting, he states:  

“Someone once described the joy and anxiety of parenthood as the equivalent of having your heart outside of your body all the time, walking around. With their very first cry, this most precious, vital part of ourselves — our child — is suddenly exposed to the world, to possible mishap or malice. And every parent knows there is nothing we will not do to shield our children from harm. And yet, we also know that with that child's very first step, and each step after that, they are separating from us; that we won't — that we can't always be there for them. They'll suffer sickness and setbacks and broken hearts and disappointments. And we learn that our most important job is to give them what they need to become self-reliant and capable and resilient, ready to face the world without fear.”

Former President Obama is discussing how parents have to be worried about their child going to school or walking around at night.  So many innocent children and bystanders are getting killed because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Parents should not be worried about their child’s safety in school because it is supposed to be a place where kids go and learn.  Kids and parents should not be worried about people going around with guns and causing a school shooting. With the power that you have, you could make a change and help the citizens feel safe in their own neighborhoods and schools.

Erick Gonzalez