Isabella J. Michigan

From Rags to Riches: City Revitalization

Revive American cities to restore America's reputation.

Shannon Stapleton / Reuters http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/08/more-americans-are-living-in-slums/400832/

The reputation of American cities hurts our country’s entire image. The overall status of a country in the world’s eyes is vital to both foreign affairs and the economy. If we as a country could help “broken down” cities get back up on their feet, it could spark a potential improvement in America’s impression. We as a country need to take action in order for any of this to even have a chance of happening.

Some people will say that “fixing up” the cities will cause gentrification, which is the renovation of a city traditionally to suit the middle class. A main concern of gentrifying an area is the fact that it tends to becomes exclusive to the poor, pushing them out of their homes because they’re no longer affordable. Because of this point, people have turned to disagree with the restoration of cities. But, of course, that problem can be avoided if the procedure is executed properly. This can be done by simply having near and available jobs as well as affordable housing.

City revitalization means a lot to me because, being from Michigan, I don’t live far from these rundown cities that were once great. Michigan’s reputation has been raked through the mud due to the cities that have been abandoned and have had little love spread amongst them. A common word associated with Michigan is danger because of the number of cities that haven’t been cared for and are overrun by corrupt people. Cities in Michigan, such as Detroit, Flint, et cetera, as well as many other areas around the states, including parts of Chicago, Illinois, require that extra push to exceed.

Although there are flaws to the revitalization of cities, I continue to believe that it is extremely important. At the end of the day, it’s your decision, future president.

Isabella J.

Avondale High School

Avondale High School

Honors English 10