Cole Michigan

Colin Kaepernick

Colin Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem.

I want to bring up Colin Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem. He only got benched for a small amount of time, which seems wrong to me. I think it should have been longer. The reason Colin Kaepernick is taking a knee is because he is trying to make a statement about police brutality. Since Colin Kaepernick has taken a knee, a lot of different people are taking a knee, and it's not right to show disrespect like that. I know that taking a knee is a right of protest, but there is a better way to make a statement.

The only reason Colin Kaepernick is allowed to not stand for the national anthem is because of the people who have died for his right of free speech. So, Colin Kaepernick could at least stand for the national anthem instead of disrespecting the people who have died for our country. I think Colin Kaepernick should still be benched. 

Now people are thinking taking a knee during the national anthem is funny and they are taking it as a joke. But taking a knee is actually very serious and it is not a joke. This is basically a big movement of disrespect. 

Another professional quarterback, Drew Brees, thinks the same thing about police brutality, but doesn't think taking a knee during the national anthem is right. What I am asking is for you, Next President,  to speak out about it and say it is wrong.

Cole

7th Grade

Evart Middle School

Evart, MI