Kiana M.

Debt

My video is about how our next president should start facing our debt problem. It is a huge epidemic and this issue will only get worse with time, we have to stop it now and try to fix it.

Our country is in huge debt if you couldn't already tell from the way we spend our money. It is hard to come back, when we are so far in debt, but I know we can. We’re not even doing anything about it, and we keep on just digging our money pit deeper and deeper. Right now we are currently in 19.5 trillion dollars in debt, and soon you will have the power to do something about it. This doesn’t even include state and local debts, “agency debts”, or unfunded liability programs such as, Medicare or Social Security. The average amount of federal debt per person is about 59 thousand dollars. We are currently projected to be in 22.4 trillion dollars in debt by the end of 2016 including federal, state, and local debts with the way we are spending our money. So let’s stop it now and start decreasing it. The United States is always rushing into war when we don’t even need to be fighting in that war. I can see why we fight, but all we are really doing is losing money and lives. If we redid some of our negotiations and trades, stopped spending as much money on wars, and so many other things, we could easily slow down our increase in debt and actually start decreasing it. The question you have to ask yourself is why are we so far in debt? This is because we are constantly borrowing more and more money and never really paying it back. When we fall short on money, we just borrow some more money so that we offset the difference, but really we are essentially just taking more money than we can afford. This money that is going into our debt pile will all eventually have to be paid back, but it will all come from the people of the United States, not you. So, I just want you to think about what you are doing to your country and your people. This will affect future generations to come if we don't stop now and try to fix it.