Rebecca H.

The Mentally-Ill Homeless

Why and how we should help the homeless who can't help themselves

Dear Mr./Madam President, 

Homelessness is an ongoing problem in all countries around the world, but especially in America. According to databases, 564, 708 people on a single January night in 2015 were homeless. As a country and a people, we have done many things to help the needy through programs like soup kitchens, The Red Cross, Salvation Army, and many others, but the real people in need are the ones who don’t know how to ask for help. 

Mental illness refers to a wide range of mental health conditions - disorders that affect your mood, thinking, and behavior. Mental illness is the third largest cause of homelessness and is by far the hardest one to recover from, many don’t. These people are in need of someone to help them through their daily lives and give them a place to stay. I propose that we set up shelters and safe-houses for those in need. These shelters could be set-up and funded in similar ways to soup kitchens across America. Psychologists on-sight  That’s why I’m asking you, Mr./Madam President, to set up housing and nurses to help these poor souls. We need to start taking care of our own citizens. Every life matters, even if it will never again be able to take care of itself again.

I am an aspiring Catholic nun and when I first discovered these facts I wanted to include this in my mission, but as I am only fifteen, that is a long way away; these poor souls need help now. I understand that this topic is not as glamorous as border control or plans to defeat ISIS, but this issue matters to me, an American citizen. There are other American citizens who are suffering and need our help. Please join me in helping them.  

Rebecca H.