Jeremiah D. Washington

FBI vs. Apple

FBI is trying to gain access to the privacy of our iPhones.

Dear future President,

I am writing this letter regarding the Apple vs. FBI issue earlier this year. First of all, let me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Jeremiah and I am 17 years old. I’m a senior in high school living in the greater Seattle area.

After the shooting in San Bernardino which left 14 dead, FBI requested from Apple that they make a “back door” to the iPhone so they could get access to the terrorist’s iPhone. Apple denied this request however, stating that they wanted to keep the security of the iPhone effective.

I agree with Apple on this issue. If the FBI does this search once, it is reasonable to believe and assume they will do it again. If there is a way for the government to get into people’s phones, hackers and viruses could find a way into the system, which could lead to identity theft. People use their phones to store very personal information. For example, Apple Wallet is used to hold credit card information, designed to make online purchases easier. But if an iPhone is hacked, a hacker can easily take and use the credit card from someone's account, creating fraud. We have a right to privacy, which can be seen in the Bill of Rights under the fourth amendment. It states “the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures”.

I am writing this hoping that you will fall behind Apple in this privacy debate. Privacy is a very important thing to many Americans, including me. As an iPhone user, I could not imagine how I would feel if my phone was hacked. I think this would cause Apple a lot of lawsuits, making their products decline in sale. Overall I think it’s safe to assume this would lead to very controversial events to take place. Thank you for reading.

Best of luck,

Jeremiah D.