Alexis Illinois

Make America Smart Again

Many other countries have strong programs that allow students to get education beyond high school. America needs reform to advance in education.

October 28th 2016

Dear Mr/s. President,

There is a dire issue within our boundaries that affects every single person. The availability of a higher education has decreased every year for students. Some students do not pursue a college education or end up in major financial debt to start off their life because of our education system. As our President it is necessary for you to look to the future of America and see the hardship that they are enduring.

The rates have increased drastically over the years and the students today are the ones that will be in the most debt of students passed. The Wall Street Journal wrote an article showing, “The average class of 2015 graduate with student-loan debt will have to pay back a little more than $35,000, according to an analysis of government data by Mark Kantrowitz, publisher at Edvisors, a group of websites about planning and paying for college. Even adjusted for inflation, that’s still more than twice the amount borrowers had to pay back two decades earlier.” The debt that they leave the school with follows them and ruins their credit score not allowing them to become successful adults. The school that they have attended and the years of hard work that they put in to benefit their future is backfiring on them. These hard working Americans deserve better than this.

As a graduating senior looking to be successful in college and make it out of this wrecked system, it is imperative that the president start taking action now. Talk about higher public education and aid for students needs to become a more important topic for the white house. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is one step to helping students but it is not enough. Many times the money runs out and those who deserve the help it can give are not able to receive a dime. More money needs to be put toward the future of America and its citizens. As President young people look to you as head of our country to be our voice.

All we ask of you is that when you are in the midst of important presidential action is that you keep in mind all of the boys and girls forced to grow up believing that they do not have a chance at going to college. Take a moment as you sit down pass laws and think about how children are faced with making financial decisions that can put them into a hole that they will spend years digging themselves out of. Just think about me, working two jobs and striving through college level classes to save a couple hundred dollars, missing out on school trips because of expenses; all because of the financial turmoil that comes with looking for a degree from a university.

Thank you for your consideration and I hope that as you make your presidential agenda that you will keep the sons and daughters of America in your thoughts and can find the compassion for us.

Alexis Mordawski (Senior)