Walter A. Minnesota


This letter is about immigrants moving to the U.S. who doesn't have their citizenship.

Dear next President,

There should be an easier path for immigrants to become citizens of the U.S. They should have the right to better their lives and to grow up as a individuals and to help their family. Right now we have many problems because we have immigrants who don’t have what they need because they’re not citizens.

Since the 1800s, the U.S. has had many groups of immigrants coming to live here. Some reasons they came in the past were, freedom of religion and economic opportunity.Those are still the reasons why immigrants are moving here.

The United States experienced major waves of immigration during the colonial era, the first part of the 19th century and from the 1880 to 1920. Many immigrants came to America seeking a greater economic opportunity, while some, such as the Pilgrims in the early 1600s.

When I first met my Mexican friend who moved to Minnesota a week after I moved & he told me that he was worried about his family and his future because they doesn’t have their citizenship which means that he or his family can be deported anytime; there’s a lot of places that they can’t go because they need their ID or any other documents that prove that they are citizens.

My experience as a Puerto Rican citizen moving to the U.S. was my language since Puerto Rico belongs to the U.S but doesn’t speak the same language; some of us has been a victim of racism since we don’t know their language and they look at some of us like if we’re not worth it. That is one of the reasons why many immigrants refuse to move to the U.S.

65% of people favor path to citizenship ( Gallup Poll )

At 80%, Democrats overwhelmingly favor allowing illegal immigrants to stay in the U.S. and to have an opportunity to become citizens. This shows a percent of immigrants who has been helped by the government, we should help the other 20% they all have the right that other immigrants have.

My plan for immigrants is that all immigrants are going to have their citizenship if they have family who moved with them.

In my opinion I believe that immigrants should be citizens and they should have the opportunity to have a better life and to grow up as individuals.

Sincerely, Walter Matos.

Henry Sibley High School


Ms. Imm's American Lit classes

All letters from this group →