Nicholas J. New Jersey

Illegal Immigration

Illegal Immigration

Nicholas Johansson

West Milford Twp. High School

67 Highlander Drive

West Milford, NJ 07480

Future President at the White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

Washington, DC 20500

Hello, I am writing this letter to you to inform you of what I feel is a huge problem in the United States of America. Illegal immigration is a huge problem and it needs to come to an end. It has its positive and negative effects on America, but there are more negative effects than there are positive. I have some great ideas and points to show you.

Illegal immigration is when people immigrate to this country and cross the border into America without doing it the right way and being legal and a true citizen of the country. If people are trying to become legal, they get health tests and a bunch of other tests. I understand why people immigrate illegally. It’s not right though. There are over 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. 52% of them are from Mexico. This means we need to better protect the Mexican border by the U.S. 13.6% of illegal immigrants have committed a crime in the United States. That might not be a huge amount, but if there were no illegal immigrants in the U.S. that didn’t have to happen. It could’ve been avoided. Obviously there’s never going to be no illegal immigrants, but we can reduce the amount that there are by not letting as many come in. 16% have been in jail for trafficking sentences. 20% of illegal immigrants have had kidnapping sentences.

There are many causes of illegal immigration. As said by The Huffington Post on August 25 2014, Some illegal immigrants come on work visas but stay longer than they are permitted. A lot of them come to get a better job to make more money for their family but do it illegally. Others come to our country to hide from authorities. Some of them come to bring drugs in because that’s their job.

As a result of this issue the American workers are affected. As an example, Instead of somebody hiring a real carpenter to renovate their house. They might hire an illegal immigrant that will do it for cheaper but isn’t certified. It also hurts them because they do have to pay taxes like everyone else does.

U.S. citizens have different views on illegal immigration. Some believe that we should let them come in, some believe we shouldn't. Republicans believe that illegal immigration is a huge problem and should be stopped. Democrats believe that it is a problem but isn’t as big as other problems. This problem in America can be fixed if we build a huge wall on the Mexican border. That’s where most illegal immigrants are from so if we did that we’d cut down the amount of them. I understand that that would be extremely expensive. So another idea is to better protect our borders. We also should do checks on people. If people are near the border but just inside the U.S. We should have police check them. Like make sure that they are a citizen.

As the next president I hope that you will make our borders more secure. To help open up the United States jobs for people that truly do need them. Help the U.S. financial issues. I thank you in advance for my concerns on this matter.

Nicholas Johansson