TDH Pennsylvania

Letter to President Clinton or Trump

My letter discusses the issues with both Republican Candidate Donald Trump and Democrat Candidate Secretary Hillary Clinton, immigration reform plan and my recommendation on immigration reform.

This letter was written on October 27th, 2016, about 18 days before the election. Since I have confidence in the United States of America’s current selection of citizens, I knew that you would become the next President of the United States of America.

But today, I don’t write this letter to declare my support for you as the newest President. I write this letter to talk to you about the importance of a strategic immigration reform that must happen your first term in office. Reforming immigration needs to be on the top of your agenda, along with many other things.

Your plan for reforming immigration is smart and strategic. Although, I think there’s need to be more details released to the public. Future President, in today’s political climate, we have focused on Mexicans, and how immigrants hurt the economic system. Sadly, the media and politicians, including yourself, have not talked about the benefits of having immigrants in our country. Watson Institute for International studies, Brown University released a detailed piece: Introduction: U.S. Immigration Policy, and pointed out important information that doesn’t seem like you have considered. In the past two decades, immigrants in large urban areas have helped revive downtown business districts. They did this by opening small businesses, created new jobs, and strengthened the local tax base. Immigration today also point outs that immigrants from China and India started 30 percent of the new high-tech companies in Silicon Valley during the 1990’s. In 2012, over 760,000 foreign students were enrolled in U.S. higher education, from undergraduate to doctoral degree programs. That information gives you clear and bold examples of how immigrants helped our country. People say immigrants are just takers, but in reality, they are givers.

With my background knowledge on immigration, education, national security and our unemployment rate, I think that your plan is not of quality to improve the United States of America. We need a plan that will work to improve the state of our education system, strengthen our National Security, and work to lower our unemployment rate in order to reform immigration. You are probably wondering why I believe those things are so important. The three things that I stated above all work to improve the state of our country, and immigration at the same time. When immigrants come to this country they hope to receive a quality education that will help them succeed in the United States. With the current state of our education system, our own citizens are being failed by our education system. How will we provide a quality education to immigrants? Many times our people talk about national security. National security is key to ensure that we don’t have a repeat of September 11th in our country. We need to ensure that Americans feel safe. Regardless if we have immigrants or not. Work to make more jobs for the immigrants and the people of our country. Let’s give immigrants and citizens the “American Dream”.

Fixing our systems will overall help us reform immigration for our country. If we are truly stronger together, we will work as one to help our country!

TDH

Science Leadership Academy @ Center City

We are high school students from Philadelphia! We've been studying immigration in U.S. history so many of our letters include our opinions on this issue.