Ryan H Washington

The declining wilderness in the United States need to be addressed

Our country is not aware of how causes in our world are negatively affecting our nation's and world's precious wilderness. This a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

Dear Mr or Mrs President,

Think to yourself “When was the last time I heard the word “Wilderness”? If we continue along at the rate of decline that our world’s wilderness is facing right now, you could not hear that word ever again. “At the current rate of decline there will be no significant areas of wilderness left on this planet in less than 100 years” ( Johnston.) This quote is showing that the U.S. needs to be more aware of the problem that our world and our country, is facing on the wilderness front. This is consistently a problem, because our country has this mindset where they need to keep building more things. It has reached the point where it has started to affect the decline of our own wilderness and the habitats it holds for animals. The United States needs to be more aware of the problem that our world and our country, is facing on the wilderness front.

The United States has over 50 national parks and 750 protected wilderness areas. The Wilderness Act protects all of these places. The Wilderness Act was signed by president Lyndon Johnson is 1964 to protect the national parks. The law was created and signed because during the great depression Americans were making paved roads and highways to the landmarks and national parks making those places more of a road stop than a protected wildlife sanctuary. I think that it was a smart idea to create this law in the US because it is allowing the national parks to be treasured and preserved. Along with keeping the parks and wilderness areas protected, the animals that reside in these places are also being protected and are able to still thrive and have their own natural habitats. As you can see, protecting the wilderness is very important to animals as well “Perhaps the greatest threat that faces many species is the widespread destruction of habitat." (Kalppenbach). The signing of the Wilderness Act helps to support my claim because president Lyndon Johnston was aware of how the wilderness was being affected in our word so he made the act to help fix and solve the problem.

“At the current rate of decline there will be no significant areas of wilderness left on this planet in less than 100 years” says Ian Johnston. The Amazon rain forest is a tenth of the world’s wild land. Think about that! This big problem needs to be addressed.

Now, I understand that some people are not as highly concerned as I am about the deterioration of wilderness in our country and our world. People may think that it is more of a worldly issue and it does not affect the United States at all. Nevertheless, yes, it does affect us. The US has a powerful hold on the world, and with that position, we would be able to work with the other countries to improve their wilderness as well as our own.

The United States needs to be more aware of the problem that our world and our country, is facing on the wilderness front. I am convinced that we as a nation and as a country are having difficulties comprehending our issues relating to the rapid decline in the wilderness. There can be simple changes added to our country that could positively change our wilderness for good. Like there could programs that the government runs to help spread awareness about our country and worlds wildlife. With small changes I feel that Americans will realize what a serious issue this is, and with these changes we will still be able to still be hearing the word “Wilderness” many years from now.

Ryan H

West Seattle High School

3rd Period LA9H

Hopkins Honors Intro to Literature & Composition