Penn H. Washington

College Tuition is too high

College Tuition is becoming too high for working class families, and something needs to be done.

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President,

According to takelessons.org "It is 400% more expensive to go to college today than it was 30 years ago in the United States. As you can see I am writing to you today about an issue that is very important to me and many of my friends and family: the extremely high price of college tuition. I am a 9th grader from Seattle, Washington and like many of my friends I plan on going to college, but are very worried about college tuition's and student loans. This is a big issue because studies have shown that a college education leads to higher paying job which is very important. What I believe needs to be done about this is for colleges to cut unneeded spending and better control the tuition price.

At the University of Washington, the tuition for a year of college is about 26,000 dollars for in-state residents and nearly 50,000 dollars for out of state. This tuition is extremely hard to afford for lower class families. A college education is very important, and allows for more job opportunities which allows people to earn more money and start a family. According to the Los Angeles Times, "People with a bachelor’s degree make 84% more over a lifetime than high school graduates." This shows that people who went to college make more money than those with only a high school degree.

If people can't fully afford college tuition they will often take out student loans. According to Time.com the Average Debt Per Borrower is $28,400. This is a lot of money, and student loans are discouraging people from going to college. I believe if college tuition are lowered student loans will become less of a problem. This can be done by pressuring colleges to cut costs and cut down on college tuition.

In conclusion I believe College tuition's need to be lowered by making colleges cut unneeded spending and useless programs so they can lower tuition. This will allow people from lower class families to receive a good education, put a stop to the student debt crisis, and to allow colleges to grow and develop. I hope you read this letter and decide to do something about this issue. 

Penn H.

Grade 9

West Seattle High School

3rd Period LA9H

Hopkins Honors Intro to Literature & Composition