Jake S. Washington

Poverty in young children

Learn from me I'm 14 I'm from Seattle WA, I wrote about poverty because Its the biggest thing In the USA that troubles it because there are 26,000 kids in poverty under the age of 8.

Dear Mr. or Ms. President,

I hope you can understand what people are going through. An article written by Poverty U.S.A. says "In 2014, 47 million people lived in Poverty USA. That means the poverty rate for 2014 was 15%"( U.S. Census Bureau). If the poverty in 2014 is 47 million just imagine how many people will be in poverty in 2020, Mr. or Mrs. president you need to help those who suffer in poverty.

There are too many people living in poverty in the United States. An article written by Feeding America says "43.1 million people 13.5 percent were in poverty, 24.4 million 12.4 percent of people ages 18-64 were in poverty" (citylimits.org). This is important because there is a lot of people are in poverty these days so can you, future president, do something about this? You should do something about this because people are suffering. They can’t buy food or water, can’t do fun things like fish, sports, and common hobbies/interests.

Poverty especially affects young people. The National Center for Children in Poverty said, “About 15 million children in the United States – 21% of all children – live in families with incomes below the federal poverty threshold, a measurement that has been shown to underestimate the needs of families” (NCCP). This shows that a lot of people are in poverty. It's bad to grow up in poverty because they don't get a good education.

Some people say that poverty is not a big issue in the United States because we are a wealthy country. Bill Steigerwald claims poverty is not really an issue we should worry about. He says, “On average, poor people who live in the USA. in either apartments or in houses are not crowded and actually have more living space than the average person living in European countries, such as France, Italy or England” (Steigerwald). He means that the people who live in the United States tend to have more room than some foreign countries and that they should be grateful about how much space they have compared to the USA. I personally think he is wrong just because people who live in poverty, whether it's in America or in other countries, they shouldn't be grateful they should have sorrow because they don't have that much than other people do.

I think poverty is bad because the people suffer and it's just getting worse. Someone needs to help these poor people out because they won't be able to buy food. So if it's you, future president, the way you would be a good president would be to help out these homeless people because they are suffering and they don't have water or food.

Sincerely, Jake