Emma B. Ohio

Drunk Driving

We need you to help us stop drunk driving now!

Dear president,

I may not know anything about driving or why people drive under the influence, but I do know that every day 27 Americans are dying and every 2 minutes somebody is getting hurt, due to drunk driving. That is 9,855 people every year. So, that is why our government needs to have harsher punishments for citizens caught drunk driving. Proving that we need to come up with ideas to help prevent somebody hurting somebody else or hurting themselves mentally and physically.

I see it everyday I hear on the news that some family just lost lost their 16 year old daughter do to being hit by a drunk driver. Or I even see it in my own family. About 5 years ago, my uncle was put in one of those situations except for the fact that a police officer had stopped him because he noticed that he was getting a little too crazy on the road. If it hadn't been for that police officer somebody could have been part of that 27 or could have been the every 120 seconds.

Therefore, I have made it my goal to help the nonprofit foundation MADD (mothers against drunk driving) to help them with our goal to help prevent drunk driving. You can help us by providing MADD the materials to create a built in breathalyzer that passengers in the car or the driver can tell if they need to call an Uber or make sure they are below the legal limit to drive as well. That is not the only thing. I can tell you that when i’m going down a road at night after a football game or something we may only pass one police officer? Well, that is not enough. There needs to be more in back roads and highways because if I were a drunk driver I would go on back roads.

For me when I think about that five years ago, with my uncle, I think back and say “I could have lost him,” but I put myself in somebody’s shoes and say, “only if she wasn’t driving, then maybe she would still be here.” I want to be the one who says I’m going to help stop this, and I'm doing it for the 9,855 people's families that have suffered from losing somebody from something stupid like drunk driving. That is why I have a solution, and that is to put more Uber’s or taxi’s phone numbers in bars and clubs or any area that sells alcohol, in car breathalyzers, and make it mandatory to have a designated driver.

So, future president is is up to you, what you are going to do? Are you going to come up with ideas to to help prevent somebody from hurting themselves or getting somebody killed. Or are you going to sit there and watch the news and think about something else and not worry about the family that just lost a family member. Because I know that potential victims of this will be thanking you later.

Emma B.

Brookville Schools

Brookville 8th Grade Students

8th grade students at Brookville Intermediate School have been studying issues that are important to them. They are posting their letters to the next president in order to have a voice in the upcoming election.