Victoria J. Alabama

Equality for all races

I thought the United States of America was for "liberty and justice for all"?

You have come a long way from a nominee, presidential candidate, to being the president. However, the fight has only just begun. I want to address a serious topic that has plaguing the United States for the longest. Equality. It is the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities. People are being treated differently because of their beliefs, race, gender, and sexuality. I thought the United States was for liberty and justice for all?

Race equality. The belief that individuals, regardless of their racial characteristics, are morally, politically, and legally equal and should be treated as such. 50 years after the Civil Rights Movement, people in the United States are still being treated unfairly. 

Native Americans are still fighting for voting rights. The White-hat, Navajo Nation Human Rights Commission, and other tribal members have sued the United States because of their states laws and country practices intentionally make it harder for them to vote on reservations. Those who live on reservations have to deal with language barriers and no translators to help them. Blacks are still being treated unfairly in the criminal justice system. Blacks and Hispanics are three times as likely to be pulled over and have their cars searched by the police for no reason. Blacks serve longer sentences, an average 10 percent longer, then whites for the same offense. Hispanic females earn 54 cents for every dollar made by a non-Hispanic male, which accounts for a loss of $24,000 in a year. Due to illegal immigration, Latino immigrant families have encountered hostile interactions with community members during day-to-day interactions. This could lead to their children to be at an increased risk for negative outcomes such as emotional stress, limited financial opportunities, and increased social isolation.

Racism is one of the biggest problems in the United States, and we need changes. We've come a long way from where we were 50 years ago. However, the United States still has racism operating in the country. Why? Can't we be the better people, and not judge someone based off the color of their skin? When I see the problems on the news about racism and hate violence, it makes me angry. We need this problem to be fixed. Please make this one of your top priorities as President to fix this problem. 

There will always be racism in the United States, but you, the future President of America, can take the steps to make this problem better.

Thank you,

Victoria