Danny E. Illinois

Fix Climate Change: Save America

The next president needs to address climate change because it is ruining our ecosystem, our forests, and our natural resources such as The Great Lakes.

Arctic ice has gone down down 13.2 percent per decade. This is just one example of one of the many effects of global warming and climate change; others include hurricanes, wildfires, floods and other extreme weather events. The drought in California is another example of an extreme weather even that is the cause of climate change. We as a country need to address climate change immediately and cut down on the burning of coal, oil, and gas.

Extreme weather patterns are becoming more frequent, and wildfires, droughts, and floods are all caused by humans. According to Globalchange.gov the U.S. average temperature has increased 1.3 to 1.9 degrees in the last 100 years, and most of it has been in the last 40 years, this is a result of the burning of coal, oil, and gas. Also, according to globalchange.gov the clearing of forests increases the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by 40 percent since the industrial revolution. We only get one environment so this issue has to be addressed immediately, we can put an end to global warming and the issues of climate change as a whole and cut down on the burning coal oil and gas.

Climate change and global warming is affecting our natural resources too, such as The Great Lakes, the biggest fresh water source in the world, and the only of its kind. According to nwf.org, climate change can cause reduced water levels, more frequent intense storms, and warmer water temperatures. We are putting the biggest fresh water supply at risk by not addressing climate change like it should be, the Great Lakes are already facing enough problems with pollution and invasive species, we don’t need to put salt in the wound.

Climate change has also had an effect on our wildlife. Animals are losing their habitats everywhere, even outside the U.S. because of climate change. The earth is getting warmer and the animals can’t adapt to the new environment. We are losing our forests to wildfire and our plants to droughts as well. Due to the earth getting warmer, wildfires will become more frequent, and droughts will happen more often too. We need to save our environment and make a difference ASAP!

Together as a country we can end climate change, we need to cut down on the burning of coal, gas, and oil, be energy efficient like turning lights off after you leave the room or use fluorescent light bulbs. Even the smallest thing can make a big difference. Together we can end climate change and save the earth.

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 3/4

Ms. McGovern's Period 3/4 ELA Class