Cole Pennsylvania

The United States government needs to update immigration policy so it fits America's needs and protects its citizens.

For centuries our country has been welcoming immigrants from all over the world. In fact, one of the most iconic landmarks known to mankind is the Statue of Liberty located on Liberty Island in Manhattan, New York. She has long represented the freedom this country was founded on and a welcoming sight to all arriving immigrants. Presently, there are 11.2 million immigrants living illegally in the United States of America. This leads us to believe that there has been a significant breakdown in our country's handling of immigration. The United States government needs to update immigration policy so it fits America's needs and protects its citizens. 

There are tens of millions of people around the world who would like to immigrate to the United States. This leaves the United States government at an important crossroads. We can choose who we want to come or we let immigrants choose. This is the difference between controlled legal immigration and uncontrolled illegal immigration (a.k.a "open borders"). We would like to welcome all well-educated professionals who will contribute to the nation's economic growth. Unfortunately, the people who take advantage of "open borders" are typically poor, not well-educated, and exhibit risky behavior to unsure they will never have to go back to where they escaped from. With this being an election year, our leaders need to be smart about the pressure on our schools, jobs, and government assistance for immigrants. 

Approximately 5 percent of the United States population is illegal immigrants. Many need government assistance, including medical benefits. The average immigrant household consumes 33 percent more cash welfare, 57 percent more food assistance, and 44 percent more Medicaid dollars than the average native household   Statistically, those from low income families are at a greater risk of criminal behavior. Many will turn to dealing drugs and robbery as a means of making money. This may explain the over 73,000 illegal immigrants in United States prisons last year alone. Their actions put an increased risk on communities and our police officers. 

People will always want to come to this great land of ours. Our government needs to recognize that changes need to be considered regarding our immigration policy. We should enforce stricter penalties for those who enter the United States illegally. We should offer good assistance to those entering legally with hopes of a better life. We can provide tuition assistance, job training, and low cost medical coverage. With an education and skills needed for a good paying job then they will be less likely to turn to illegal activities. This will benefit everybody living together in the United States of America. 

Cole

Holy Family School

Our Letters

Our letters to the next president