Adina T. Montana

Suicide

My letter is about preventing suicide.

My name is Adina and i am 14. I live in billings mt Suicide is a very serious topic that isn’t talked about much. Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death between the ages 15 and 65 years old in the united states. People talk about suicide very lightly but it is a heavy topic. Suicide can be a result of mental disorders. Suicide takes about 117 lives a day in the united states. Three times the amount of females attempt suicide than males.

Some causes of suicide is mental diseases as of, depression, bipolar disorder, or anxiety. Over 50% of people die from suicide suffer from major depression. 5-8 percent of americans ages 18 and over suffer from depression. More americans suffer from depression than heart disease. Bipolar is an episodic illness. Last one anxiety. “Anxiety isn’t fear, it's something completely different. It”s in my mind worse.” - kian lawley

I think the root of suicide is all of these mental illnesses that our generation isn’t about to identify right away. I think the root is the illnesses people have that lots of people don’t know how to help. I also feel that is is that the people who have suicidal thoughts think that they are worthless or they think they have to be strong and put up with it.

Some other facts about suicide are, In the U.S. suicide rates are highest is the spring. On an average 1 person commits suicide every 16.2 minutes. There is 1 suicide for every 25 attempts. 50% of suicides are completed with firearm safety. Males make up 75% of all suicides, while females are more prone to having suicidal thoughts.

I think we need more jobs with mental illness help. I also feel that if we talked about gun control then the suicide rate might go down because 50% of suicides are completed by firearms. We need to learn how to identify symptoms of suicidal thoughts and learn how to help others.

I feel that suicide is an important topic because it makes such a big impact on people and the population. Suicide needs to be talked about more and needs to be confronted. We need to help people who have the mental illnesses

Billings Public Library

English 1

Skyview High School