Cecellia B. Wisconsin

Abortion is a fundamental right given to women, and it should not be taken away. An abortion could be the right thing to do in many situations including rape, poverty, and disorders of the fetus or the mother.

Abortion in certain situations can be better for the baby. For example, the baby may not be provided with the necessary care needed after birth. 42% of women who get abortions are below the federal poverty line, and would not be able to financially care for a baby. New technologies have made it possible to see birth defects in fetuses before they are born. For babies that are guaranteed death shortly after birth, watching them suffer would be more cruel than aborting and ending that suffrage. Babies should not come into the world unwanted, uncared for, or unhealthy, and an abortion could terminate the chance of that happening.

Abortion can also be the better option for the mother at times. For instance, women who have abortions will have better mental health than those who go through with an unwanted pregnancy. 95% of women who receive abortions think that it was the right thing to do and have no regrets. On the other hand, the women who denied having an abortion didn’t feel happiness or relief, but they instead felt regret. Having the baby could also interfere with a woman’s future, as 38% of women who had abortions did it because of education and career conflicts. Also, in cases of medical emergencies it may be necessary to abort the baby to save the mother. For women who are unfit or unwilling to be a mother, abortion should be an alternate solution.

It is a given right that women should have control over their body, and an abortion is a personal decision that the government shouldn’t make. No matter the situation, the choice to have an abortion should be completely up to the mother. 7% of all abortions are from rape victims. Having this baby would be a constant reminder of the event, and would cause depression. Many rape victims are minors, who are unable to care for a baby psychologically and emotionally. They should be given the option to abort the child. 49% of all pregnancies are unintended. Why have a baby that wasn’t wanted in the first place? Regardless of the severity of the situation, it is a right that a women has over her body to make these decisions.

Overall, the right to have an abortion should not be taken away. The government should have no say in what a woman does with her body no matter what the situation is. Not your body? Not your business.

Cecellia Berger

De Pere Middle School

Kleveno Block 2

This group is for students in Block 2.