Barbara Connecticut

Abortion in the US

Women deserve the same rights that men have.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

In the Declaration of Independence, the most significant fragment of it is the “All Men Are Created Equal” statement. ‘All Men’ as in rich, white men. What about the women, the poor, the LGBT community, or those of other races? What has happened in American history really proves otherwise, and we need to live up to our country’s foundational ideals. If we really want to prove to our founding fathers if they were still alive that all men are created equal, we need to prove it by not excluding women and others, but including them, which is why women should be treated equally and given rights… Their bodies are their holy grails, and they should have the right to do what they think is best for their bodies.

Abortion is seen by most as a very big issue in America. There have been 58,586,256 abortions since 1973 according to the National Right to Life - and although that is a very high number of fatalities that are seemingly unethical, there are logical reasons regarding why people abort their fetuses. I think it is important for women whom do not feel they should have a child to have the right to ‘opt out’ of having a child. Although it is unethical and immoral, what is also immoral is that one of the reasons can be because the woman has been raped or committed an act of incest. Holding women back from doing what they think is best for themselves is too ideological. We cannot have the idea that we can stop women from not having a baby because they would not simply kill their child for no good reason. It’s time for the upcoming president to be more understanding.

In most states in the U.S., abortion is simply illegal no matter what, but there are some states that have exceptions. For example, as shown in a map on Wikipedia, abortion is legal in California, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Maryland under the circumstances of rape, incest, danger to a woman’s health, or possible damage upon the fetus. Not only should it be legal in those cases in those states, but it should also be legal in all states under those circumstances. It is unfair how in some states, women do not have the right to do what women in other states can do with their bodies. It’s just like how someone could do something that is illegal in CT (i.e. marijuana) in Colorado and not get in nearly as much trouble as those in Connecticut would, which is just unfair.

It is essential that the next president is more lenient and allows women to live their lives. Women deserve to have the right to control their body. By allowing abortions to be done in the U.S. under strict circumstances of rape, incest, or life-threatening reasons, our generation can make a change and prove that not only all men are created equal, but all men and women are created equal as well.

Greenwich High School

English 113

English 113