Luke B. Illinois

Trump is not prepared to be president

Trump lacks knowledge and the ability to run for president. He has no idea what politics is actually like.

Dear, Mr. Trump

I have seen you go from a small candidate with little support to being elected the next president of the United States. In that time I have seen and heard the outrageous things you have said, I have been offended by the statements you have said, even when they are not targeted towards me. Believe it or not, I, a white male student have family that is Muslim, throughout your campaign I have seen you constantly imply that Muslims are the enemy. You have even said, “I’m calling for a complete and total shutdown of Muslim’s entering the United States until our countries representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.” I have had great fear since you have been elected president. Will I be targeted because I am linked to Muslims? I personally believe you are not suitable to be president of the United States. You have said numerous statements, beyond the issue of Muslims in the United States, that can be considered offensive by other countries.

Mr. Trump, you lack any experience previous presidents’ have had. In an article by USA Today they stated, “Trump is the first person elected president with zero government or military experience.” Throughout your career you have always been a business leader and told people what to do with little resistance. Although business can be very similar to politics, you lack the ability to think of others opinions and thoughts on situations. While you hosted The Apprentice, you worked with numerous business men and women. One of them, James Sun, he had to say this, “Trump is a straight shooter who speaks his mind without thinking.” Your inability to control yourself can get the nation, as a whole, in trouble because of one man’s thoughts. Current president, Barack Obama, also had to say this, a few days before the election, “If somebody starts tweeting at three in the morning because SNL made fun of you, then you can't handle the nuclear code.” This is just another piece of evidence that supports my argument of your inability to lead the nation.

Throughout the history of the United States, Democrats and Republicans have battled in congress, differing opinions in congress slows progress in the nation as a whole, which is currently happening here in Illinois. The differing opinions have slowed anything involving the government here in Illinois. You are not used to these differing opinions. You do not know that congress has the full power over your decisions. Congress will not spend money and time on building your proposed wall along Mexico’s border.

In conclusion, Mr. Trump, you lack the experience and I believe will lead America to a dark place and to very little being done in office. Your uneducated thoughts and opinions will take America a few steps back. You been endorsed by the KKK and anti-gay groups. You represent racism in the U.S. and now you are the newly elected leader of this country.

Sincerely, Luke Buchanan

Metea Valley High School

Metea Valley Sophomore English

All sophomore students at Metea Valley High School wrote letters to President-Elect Trump, voicing their issues on ideas that are important to them. These letters were part of a three-week project, where we learned about rhetorical situation; types of claims; types of evidence; and embedding quotes.