Trinity North Dakota

Homelessness

Homelessness is getting worse by the minute!

I write to you as a young teen concerned about how some people are living in the United States. Homelessness is such a big problem here, especially in big cities, such as, Portland, Chicago, and New York. It surprises me so much how bad it’s gotten. There are 633,782 people experiencing homelessness on any given night in the U.S, 22.1% are children, 13% are veterans, and 42.6% are disabled and unable to work. How is that ok?

There are many reasons or trends that are responsible for people to be like this. For example, a growing shortage of affordable rental housing, and an increase in poverty. Some are even women who have become pregnant under age 18 and cannot afford it. Some people say it’s their fault, maybe, but most homeless people are forced to live the way they do.

To stop these problems you, me, and other people can help open more homes for them to sleep in. We could also open more soup kitchens, instead of them eating out of the dumpster. Would you like to depend on other people’s trash for your next meal?

So Mr. /Mrs. President, we cannot sit back and continue to watch these people suffer on the streets. We need to step up and try to do as much as possible for them. I know there is probably much more important things you need to take care of, but this matter is very important to me so please let’s do something about this before it gets much worse.

TPepp