Megan C. North Dakota

Leave Animals Alone

looking into the inhumanity of animal testing, and why it should be stopped

Dear Mr/ Mrs.President,

How would you feel if you were taken from your home abruptly, split from your family, and taken to an unfamiliar place to be poked, prodded, and injected with unknown, and possibly unsafe chemicals? I personally would not be a huge fan, and if it were to happen to a human, people would look at it differently. According to an article written by PETA, each year, more than 100 million animals like mice, dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, monkeys, ect. are killed in U.S. laboratories for biology lessons, medical training, and chemical, drug, food, and cosmetics testing.

Animal testing and experimentation needs to be stopped, or there needs to be stronger laws and regulations against them. Animal testing is not just putting makeup on a bunny to see if it reacts negatively or if it smells too strong. These helpless creatures are forced to inhale toxic fumes, put into restraint devices for hours, have holes drilled into their skulls, while others have their skin burned off or their spinal cords crushed, again and again and again, until a certain test goes more negatively than usual and ends up killing the animal. Animal testing is inhumane and unfair to unsuspecting, innocent animals, it needs to come to an end.

If you’re unlike me and don’t really care because you believe this issue has nothing to do with you, think again. According to an article written by PETA the government and other health charities waste taxpayer and donor dollars on animal experiments and testing instead of on clinical, in vitro, and other non-animal studies that could be helping humans in the long run. You as an American citizen pay your taxes, i would hope, and instead of going towards research to better the human population, it’s going towards experimentation on animals. Now experimenting on an animal may seem like a good idea, but just because a product was shown to be safe in or on animals does not guarantee that it will be safe for humans to use, so they animal may have died during the testing for no apparent reason.

A number of countries have bans on testing on animals, and example being that cosmetics testing has been banned in the European Union, India, and Israel. There are many non-animal test methods that could replace animal experimentation, these tests are more humane, and according to PETA they also have the potential to be cheaper, faster, and more relevant to humans. Why have it banned in only three places, when we can have it banned in them all.

Sit down and take a minute to think about these animals, in hundreds to thousands of labs just in the U.S. right now, as they spin in circles, rock back and forth, pull out their own fur, and shake vigorously out of fear, just awaiting an undeserved and probably painful death. Please consider what has been previously stated throughout this whole letter, animal testing needs to come to an end. Even Gandhi said it himself, “The greatness of a nation and it’s moral progress can be judged by the way it’s animals are treated.”

Megan C