Madison C. Virginia

Illegal Immigration: A national problem

This letter is about the negative economical effects of illegal immigration.

Madison

28th October 2016

Future President of the USA

Dear Mr. President,

Congratulations on your recent victory! I, as an American Citizen, am excited to see the work that will be done as you start your Presidential journey. Considering all of the damage that has been done while having a Democrat in charge of our nation, I am relieved a Republican has finally made it back into the White House.

As you well know, the United States of America is notable as a nation of immigrants and has the largest immigrant population of any country (“Economic impact of Immigration in the Twentieth Century”), (“Illegal Immigrants”). Some people honor this fact and embrace the diverse country that is the United States of America. At the same time, immigration has many underlying economic issues and negative effects that has caused the word “immigration” to receive a negative connotation in some citizens eyes, including mine. Illegal immigration needs to be ended, that way the United States of America can get back on it’s feet and begin to succeed again.

I believe the biggest problem that occurs from having illegal immigrants as a part of the U.S. economy is they are taking jobs from the legal citizens of the nation and are, therefore, leaving them unemployed. Illegal immigrants will work for close to nothing and do jobs that are said to be undesirable to legal citizens: construction, agricultural harvesting, service professions, etc. Though when illegal immigrants take these jobs, more times than not, they are working besides legal citizens (“Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs”). Passel states, “most employers accept fake employment documents and hire illegal workers as if they were legal because there is no requirement to verify documents presented by works, employers can easily evade compliance.” My question is, “How come there has not been a law passed saying an analysis of every employment document should take place?” Yes, it would be a long, tedious process, but then you would be able to spot the eight million illegal immigrants taking jobs from the U.S. citizens (“Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs”).

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), a conservative advocacy group that favors tighter immigration laws, argues that the answer is clear: illegal aliens cost U.S. taxpayers: moms, dads, grandma’s, all the legal adults of the United States, more than $100 billion each year (“Expensive Aliens: How Much Do Illegal Immigrants Really Cost?”). How are the adults of America supposed to pay for these illegal people is those people are in fact taking their jobs right out from under them?

Many people, more famously, past Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton, believe the current illegal immigrants of the U.S. should be persuaded, or encouraged, to decide to go through the naturalization process to become a citizen (“Illegal Immigrants”). This makes me laugh because there is no humane way to persuade the eleven million illegal immigrants of the U.S. (“Illegal Immigrants”) to go through the naturalization process. Especially because some of the illegal immigrants are in hiding and would not want the risk of getting arrested or deported if they started taking the measures to become naturalized. Your decision of a wall is a tad more rash, but I appreciate and am relieved you have been thinking about this problem.

The unfortunate reality of the economy in the United States of America is growing worse and worse by the day. Though there are many reasons for the deficit, mandatory naturalization or forced deportation would be a huge help to getting America back on it’s feet. As we speak, illegal immigrants are indirectly forcing the legal citizens of the nation to pay their debt and taxes. I do not see one reason to how that is legal. These illegal acts must be controlled. It all comes down to the citizens of our nation. If you, as President, can convince us, as a society, to begin showing more concern and worry in this area, the topic will be taken more seriously and begin to have a greater support system.

I wish you the absolute best in office,

Madison

"Economic Impact of Immigration in the Twentieth Century." Gale Student Resources in

Context. Detroit: Gale, 2016. Research in Context. Web. 6 Oct. 2016.

Fahmy, Dalia. "Expensive Aliens: How Much Do Illegal Immigrants Really Cost?" ABC News.

ABC News Network, 21 May 2010. Web. 18 Oct. 2016.

"Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs." Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Oct. 2016.

"Illegal Immigrants." Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection. Detroit: Gale, 2016. Opposing

Viewpoints in Context. Web. 6 Oct. 2016.

"Illegal Immigration." Gale Student Resources in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2016. Student

Resources in Context. Web. 6 Oct. 2016.

"Virginia Unemployment." Virginia State Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed. N.p., n.d.

Web. 18 Oct. 2016. 

Eastern View High School

AP Language & Composition

AP Language & Composition students (11th grade) from Eastern View High School in Culpeper, VA are tasked with researching platforms, crafting political cartoons or pieces of satire, and writing letters and op-eds