Jennifer Virginia

Increasing Unemployment Leads to Poverty

This letter is about the employment rate continues to rise causing the poverty rate to keep climbing. I would like to address the issue and hope for a change in problem.

Dear President of the United States of America,

Congratulations on winning the 2016 Election for President of the United States! I am glad to hear you are running this country and look forward to what becomes of the nation. However, there are issues within our country that are imperative to solve. The unemployment rate is increasing and leading many families into poverty.

The Great Depression was a horrible place for majority of the American population and the economy was at the worst had been ever been seen. Children were homeless and without food for days as the unemployment rate rose 25% during that time (The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia). There was between 13 to 15 million Americans unemployed and the country’s banks failed (The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia). As President, I hope to be able to rely on you to keep the country out of a situation like this one occurring again.

The global struggle of unemployment can rise so quickly and cause the trend to keep increasing like it has over the past few years (Trade and Development Report). A study was conducted in 2005 that showed about 1.4 billion people lived in extreme poverty and parents earned less than $1.25 per day (Gale Student Resources in Context). Many parents throughout the states are struggling to keep a roof over their kids head, food on the table, and getting their kids a good education. The President of the United States has many responsibilities, which include insuring jobs to the American people and keeping them from falling below the poverty line.

I urge you to consider putting a plan in action to keep jobs plentiful, so people can continue to be able to obtain jobs. With this, the unemployment rate will decrease dramatically and the families below poverty will rise into the middle class. You should require classes for high school students to experience and prepare for the real world jobs. Please take in consideration my plan of action to better the people of America for the future years to come.

Jennifer

"Global Poverty." Gale Student Resources in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2012.

Student Resources in Context. Web. 30 Sept. 2016.

"Revising the policy framework for sustained growth, employment creation and poverty

reduction." Trade and Development Report Annual 2010: 135+. General OneFile.

Web. 30 Sept. 2016.

"unemployment." The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™. New York: Columbia

University Press, 2016. Research in Context. Web. 30 Sept. 2

Eastern View High School

AP Language & Composition

AP Language & Composition students (11th grade) from Eastern View High School in Culpeper, VA are tasked with researching platforms, crafting political cartoons or pieces of satire, and writing letters and op-eds