Kaleigh California

"Mommy I love you"

With a whopping total of 90 mass shootings in the years 1966 to 2012, something has to be done about gun control.

December 14, 2012.  Sandy Hooks Elementary School , New town, Connecticut. 20 students and 6 staff members fatally shot.

December 2, 2015.  Inland Regional Center, San Bernardino, California. 14 people killed, 22 wounded.

June 12, 2016. Pulse, Orlando Florida. 49 people were killed, 53 were wounded.

Dear president,

These are just a few of the countless mass shootings that haunt our history. Numerous innocent lives, all gone just like that. Lives like mine, yours.  Futures ended, hopes and dreams crushed.

The most recent, and most deadly mass public shooting in the Pulse nightclub shook America. Eddie Jamoldroy Justice was in the club that frightful night, hiding in the bathroom as Omar Mateen held them hostage for 3 hours. The fear is evident in the last text messages Justice sent. One can only imagine what it must have felt like to be in his position, not knowing whether you would make it out alive, not being able to tell the people that you love goodbye, having your life cut short. Justice was one of the 49 victims.

Australia suffered a massive massacre in 1996, prompting gun laws to be made. Since then, they have suffered no further mass shootings. The number of gun related deaths has also decreased. This is significant, and if we can do something to our gun laws similar to what Australia has done, we may experience the same benefits that Australia has.

American citizens own the most guns compared to any other country. This is in sharp correlation to the number of mass shootings we have compared to other countries. America accounts for more mass shootings than any other country. We also have the most school shootings in the world. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed, as no other country has to face this problem as seriously as we do.  Our people are put in greater danger of dying in mass shootings than any other people.

How long must we mourn before something is changed about our gun laws?

I shouldn't have to worry about my safety whenever I go to school or to work. I shouldn't have to remorse over yet another mass shooting. Parents shouldn't have to fret over the safety of their children when they are away.

No one should. 

So please President, will you protect my future? Will you protect the futures of our sons and daughters and grandchildren? Will you prevent the mass shootings that occur in this country yearly? Will you invoke the change that is desperately needed?

Respectfully yours,

Kaleigh