Quinn C. Kentucky

Dear Mister/Madam President, For my social studies class, we have to write a letter to you and address a certain issue that the candidates have been debating. I would like to talk to you about the issue of gun control. Guns are a very powerful weapon. The maintenance of this force must be addressed. If not, then it would cause a very big problem. I think it is very important to focus on that issue for the reason of if someone commits a crime, (which they could use a gun for) if they are allowed to buy a gun, then they would have the ability to commit more of these crimes. This would definitely prove to be a problem, and our country's crime is not something we should be known for. Guns can scare, injure, and kill people. If a force like this gets out of hand, then this would cause a very big problem in the country. Not to mention the story of Sandy Hook. If you do not know what happened here, you will definitely have a hard time hearing about it. There was an elementary school by the name of Sandy Hook Elementary. One day, a man wearing a military vest, had two handguns and an assault rifle, came into the school. He took his rifle and then shot through the glass door, also engaging everyone in the office. He then went into other hallways and classrooms, and shot and killed everyone in the rooms he went into. About 20 kids that were 6 and 7 years old were killed, along with 6 teachers. This shows how we need to make sure that we make mental health checks and background checks before someone buys a gun. Obviously, someone with a normal mindset would not bring themselves to commit this horrible crime. Also, I do not think that it is necessary to be allowed to buy full-fledged assault rifles unless you are serving in the military. I have done some research, and in a New York Times article published on October 11, 2016, it stated, “It concludes that gun fatalities in states with weaker laws are more than three times as high as in those states with tougher restrictions, including background checks or permits.” This shows what happens when we do not take action, and if we do not put stricter gun regulation laws in order. Crimes are a very big deal, and happen every day in our country. Muggings, robberies, and force rapings have been linked to guns. Also many other crimes have been linked to the use of firearms as well. Also, not only death, but injuries are a serious problem as well in dealing with firearms. In an article published by The Los Angeles Times on June 14, 2015, it said, “New research suggests that between the years 2000 and 2013, the injuries sustained by victims of firearms violence grew both more severe and more deadly, even as mortality from other traumatic injuries declined.” This shows also how injuries become a problem with gun control. More than likely, this number of injuries will continue to increase if we do not do something about it. A law that makes firearms not allowed out of houses or other areas such as firing ranges, hunting areas, etc., should be put into order. Lastly, the force of threatening people with guns is an issue as well. In an article published by Harvard University, it stated, “Using data from a national random-digit-dial telephone survey conducted under the direction of the Harvard Injury Control Center, we examined the extent and nature of offensive gun use. We found that firearms are used far more often to frighten and intimidate than they are used in self-defense.” This shows how guns can get out of hand if they are not used for correct purposes. Firearms could be used for unintended purposes. They could kill and injure innocent people, and be used to threaten and lower someone's safety. Whoever is reading this, Donald or Hillary, please help this community and country by making gun control one of your top priorities by making stronger and more efficient background checks, mental health screens, and having gun manufacturers sell high-caliber weaponry only to military. Sincerely, Quinn C